Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) is a system of growing and distributing organic produce that restores the link between the farmers and city dwellers. Successful in Japan and Western Europe since 1965, approved CSA today operates on approximately 1000 farms in North America.
In early spring each year, drugs local households purchase subscription “shares” of the year’s harvest from a local organic farm. CSA “shareholders” pay for their produce at the beginning of the growing season, generic providing the necessary start-up capital for farmers to purchase seeds, supplies and soil amendments, eliminating their reliance on expensive bank loans and helping to pay for the real cost of food.
Plan B Organic Farms is a “multi-farm CSA”
This means that we grow and source the best certified organic produce from 12 farms in Southern Ontario for your shares each week. For you, our shareholders, this means a greater variety of foods in your share each week from many of the best organic growers in the province!
5 Great Things about CSA?
1. Provides local farmers with an economically viable farm business
2. Consumers gain access to affordable, fresh, & local organic foods
3. Consumers learn about what grows in Ontario and how to “eat seasonally”
4. Strengthens the local economy and builds community
5. Less transportation & packaging makes for a healthier local environment